Tuesday, January 1, 2013

New Year

I discovered something about myself tonight. I never had any idea that this was the way I wanted to live my life. The way I wanted to spend my finite existence. 

I chase moments. I chase minutes and seconds of pure wonder and beauty. I do whatever it takes to have my breath taken away. I was absolutely surprised tonight. I grabbed my bicycle from the lamp post it was chained to, and took a 10 minute ride to the island's water line. The gentle black waves rolling in, inches from my feet. I arrived 25 minutes from midnight, the herald of a new year. 2013. It's weird to reminisce that 10 years ago I was 11 years old, banging pots and pans with spatulas and spoons in the street, in place of fireworks and noise makers. But, my childhood is another matter, so we won't get into that.

At 11:57 P.M., as I stood with the small waves inches from my feet, I stared out into the Pacific Ocean, rocks and small cliffs jutting from the water like some long forgotten sentinel. The gray waters making a beautiful symphony of chaos, filling my body with its sound. To the right of me, a small mountain range jutted out into the water, and beyond that in the distance lay Seattle. Fireworks began shooting off, inches above the highest mountain range, from my point of view. The vivid reds and blues and whites stark against the black night sky. It brought a wonderful smile to my face. How lucky I was, to have this moment to myself. David Lindsey. Sitting on a beach on a rock by himself, with fireworks shooting off beyond the mountains, their colors exploding against the sky. Then I looked to the left, towards the Canadian Border. We were pretty close to Vancouver, and what do I happen to see? More fireworks. More greens and whites and blues exploding against the night sky, dimming the stars for moments at a time. 

Here I am, 21 years old, away from family and friends. A beautiful gray ocean is rising and falling in front of me, American fireworks to the right of me, above the awe-inspiring rocky mountain cliffs. Canadian fireworks to the left of me, exploding against the night sky, heralding the passage of time.

Absolutely perfect. It's moments like these that I would die for. It's moments like these that I will gladly reminisce when I am old and gray. I can imagine myself in front of an audience of grandchildren as they ask me of my youth. "There I sat, with the ocean in front...". Wonderful.

Here's to 2013. I hope for the best. And whatever stranger happens to grace this little corner of the internet; I hope 2013 treats you well, my friend. 

Peace and Love,
David Lindsey.

No comments:

Post a Comment