Saturday, August 1, 2009

The end of summer draws near

This has been by far the best summer of my life. There have been unbelieveable high notes, and a few devastating bad decisions.
I've never felt so alive.

I've had the time of my life, i've been sick as a dog, i've done almost everything on my list of 100, i've seen my parents, and i've said my goodbyes. I'm as ready as i'll ever be when it comes to growing up so i'm just ready to go.

I should've been gone more than a month ago, but like in everyone else's lives, we make decisions that we couldn't have forseen making such a difference even a month in the future. /shrug. It was worth it.

Times are a-changin' and I guess it's my time to flow with river of life and let go of this rock called childhood i've been holding onto.


Oh, but before I go, i'd like to make a few notes on the novel i've just finished reading which I enjoyed immensely. The Grapes of Wrath. At first I was a bit hesitant as to whether or not I should read it, but I had a long bus ride so I made the most of it. It was pretty amazing. It really touched me, I saw how the characters represented the human spirit, at least to me. They simply lived, looking for the best way for them to survive. A few of them talked about "a-studyin'" as if it were some unheard of thing. I thought it particularly endearing the way we tend to take advantage of one another, as human beings. The representative of the bank came to each family to tell them they had to leave the land. The land that they lived on, the land that their fathers and their fathers' father had lived on. The representative talked of the bank as if it were some monster. He wasn't anything, he wasn't even a part of it. He says: If he could let them stay there, he would. And the local who plowed their land with a tractor, how he was just thinking of his family and himself. (Usually a very noble cause, until you're harming your own community to feed your family.) I loved how Steinbeck illustrates the entire era. Be it a waitress working in a restraunt on Route 66, or the Okies migrating to the 'Golden' state. For me, this book really went to heart. The fallacy of man it seems to me. It's quite beautiful. Well I wasn't able to touch all points on the topic, but I've got to run.




Peace and Love.
-David Lindsey

No comments:

Post a Comment